My Learning Connections


Learning Connections

My learning network connections have helped me develop outlets to assist me in my learning. I have been able to combine the resources of my different connections and apply them to any situation I might encounter. I no longer struggle with how I will learn something I don’t fully understand. Having multiple connections has allowed me to learn how to research fully question I might need to be answered. Also, my connections have allowed me to find solutions to problems I may encounter when creating material for training classes. Finally, my learning connections have allowed me to understand the differences in learning pedagogy and learning styles, so the material I create meets the needs of my learners.

Through my learning connections, I have gained a repertoire of digital tools that help me in my learning. When I first started my Bachelor degree program, I was introduced to an older online program called Quizlet. It helped in in my learning, and I was also able to incorporate it into the training I was creating for my job — something for the learners to use in their spare time. I had also relied on GIMP and Kompozer when I first started to learn about multimedia tools. Having these tools helped my hands-on needs for building and creating. Now, that I am in my Masters Degree Program, I am even more excited to learn what more these tools can do and how I can apply to my training I create. I can’t forget about the other tools and resources I have at my fingertips such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Podcast, and e-books every one of these tools have contributed to my learning in some form or fashion.

I gain new knowledge when I research. If I come across a question, I will research my social networking sites and ask questions in the forums. I make sure I gather all the information from both sides of the equation. I want to find differences between my thinking and others, so I gain a full understanding. That is what helps me answer the questions I have and helps keep me diverse in the materials I create.

I am not sure that connectivism is the only learning theory for the digital age. Connectivism is a great learning theory; however, if other learning theories are not used the learner may have a one-sided thought process. We know as adults you can’t always believe what you read on the internet. But if you are using reputable sites, connectivism is a great way to learn and gain knowledge. As a learner, you have to research all sides of a question. Not just the side you believe. You have to gain that understanding. It reminds me of a gentleman I met a few years ago at a seminar. He said his company sent him to the seminar so he would see there are other ways of learning other than face to face. I had asked him at that time to join a Facebook group that I was apart of and was built around E-learning. He agreed, and he and I had lunch together, and I got him joined to the group by the end of our seminar he was ready to try his hand at cats and online learning for the company. We stay in touch still today, and he has used several of my connections to help him build a virtual learning space for onboarding new employees.

How has your learning connections helped you? I would love to read about your experiences. Please leave me a comment on the best learning connection you have acquired and how it helped in your career.

Thanks for reading

Gerri Mitchell

Comments

Popular Posts